The Implication of Set net Fisheries to Coastal Fisheries Management
MetadataShow full item record
The objective of this study was to analyze the opinion of the fishermen on the impacts of set net to their fishing and on the set net fisheries to coastal fisheries management. The data were collected by interviewing 60 local fishermen who fish along the Mae Rumphueng Beach, Rayong Province, Thailand from 28 to 30 March 2007, using a pre-designed questionnaire. The fishers’ opinion on the status of the marine resource revealed that compared to the past, the status of the resource was poor as observed by 65% of the respondents. Others have indicated that the resource had not changed while some said that the resource was better (as rated by 32% and 3%, respectively). The results also indicated that 98.3% of the respondents have realized the importance of coastal fisheries management for the sustainable use of the coastal resources. They fully agreed with the suggestion that they should be involved and should participate in the coastal fisheries management. From the time the set net project was implemented, most of the fishers have been familiar with the set net project with 56.6% of the total respondents participating in the set net activities at least ones while 41.7% did not participate in the activities because they did not have enough information on the project. However, the fishermen positively agreed that the set net fishery is useful for fishery resources management even though they also indicated that it has no impact on their fishing activities. For the survey, the respondents considered were the ex- members of the set net fishers’ group (58.3%) while the remaining 41.7% were never members of the group. The main reasons they gave for their lack of interest in becoming members of the group included their available time which did not match with the operating time of the set net activities, the income gained is less, and the uncomfortable feeling of working with other people (80%, 21.7% and 20%, respectively).
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
The Institution of the Set Net Fisher Group for the Development of Sustainable Coastal Fisheries Management: The Case of Rayong Province, Thailand Suanrattanachai, Phattareeya; Kaewnuratchadasorn, Pattarajit; Thapthim, Narumol; Munprasit, Aussanee (Training Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, 2008-01)Main objective of the study is to describe the set net fishers group functioning in set net fisheries management. The group function is focused on practicing in the group administrative affair and management with cooperative ...
The Attitude of Local Government Organizations and External Agencies on Set-net Fisheries and its Technology Transfer for Coastal Fisheries Management Thapthim, Narumol; Suanrattanachai, Phattareeya; Kaewnuratchadasorn, Pattarajit (Training Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, 2008-07)This paper mainly aimed to study and assess the attitude of local government institutions/organizations and agencies on the set-net project and fisheries after the project had been implemented for five years in Mae Lamphueng ...
Set-net Fishing Technology Transfer for Sustainable Coastal Fisheries Management in Southeast Asian Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, Training Department (Training Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, 2008)Most coastal fisheries resources of the developing countries including the Southeast Asian countries are overexploited because of the high demand for fishery products and the modernization of fishing technology. Moreover, ...